<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 26, 2004

Day 4: Revenge of the Nerds 

I have slacked on my daily commentary. However, day 2 and 3 were rather uneventful. I've been fine-tuning the art of "drinking-enough-so-that-schmoozing-becomes-easier-but-not-ugly."

But I have noticed that there is kind of a secret club among young politicians here at the convention.  It's not a club based around where one falls on the lefty spectrum or whether you managed to obtain tickets to Gov. Richardson's lobster boil. No, it's the club for folks that truly understand the way that the internet and technology is fundamentally altering our political system forever. And members of this club not only recognize this, but embrace it, crave it and love it. Likened to the Eisenhower era in the 1950's when only a small group of people dared to dream about the way that TV and the 30 second soundbite would dramatically change the political landscap forever. Now the internet and the blogosphere stand to have similar dramatic implications. Much has been written on this subject by people much more articulate than myself so I will spare going into details of what these powerful changes could entail, but if you don't get it or you think I am over-reacting about it, then I hate to break it to you but you are not in the club. In the past 4 days, most conversations I have been involved in at some point include a provocative statement about technology, the blogging world or both. And the general response other parties involved is either a blank stare or instant bonding. And I don't think you have to be some tech genius or know SQL server to be in the club. You just need to know that when the guy next to you is talking about the importance of having a strong back-end, he's not complimenting hot intern behind you.




|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com