<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

4th of July Story 

I was at a BBQ watching the Italy v. Germany World Cup match with a bunch of folks including this outspoken British intellectual type. Being Independence Day, someone eventually made a crack about the "Red Coat" sitting next to us.

But instead of laughing or reacting, the Brit looked confused.

He had never heard the term Red Coat!

According to this chap, British children never learn about their involvement in the American Revolution. While it fills chapters and chapters of our history books, it's a mere footnote in their textbooks.

While it shocked me, I guess it shouldn't that surprising that countries dwell on their victories and skim their defeats. This country isn't even dwelling on our current defeats!

Still weird though.

I also learned that Paul Revere wasn't actually saying "The Redcoats are coming." He was saying "The Regulars are coming" referring to the regular (British) Army. I don't know if that is true though but I thought it was interesting.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com